Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Texting

Texting. As hotly opposed as it is by some, it is equally loved by others. I like it, but can easily go without it. Texting does not ruin the english language; at least not for me. Because of the fact that I have a full keyboard, I can text like I am writing this now: using proper English. Texting is a fast, practical way to communicate. Some may ask, "Why not call a person?" Well the answer to that is simple. Texting is fast. Much faster than a call and it is short. If I sent someone a funny email, I would text them, because calling and waiting through that horrible sequence of irritable ringing noises is just not worth it to say "hey check your email." 

Texting is more stealthy. When you're on the phone, everyone can hear you. Texting is a way to communicate without broadcasting to everyone around you what your plans are. If I need to discuss the Super Hopper with Dr. Millz, I will send him a text. If i need to update the Groundskeeper of the status of the "rake/pool vacuum", I will text him. Texting in most ways, and when done properly, is the ultimate weapon for people who need to say in constant communication. 

Texting, love it or hate it, it is here to stay. Expensive as it may be, in the ultra connected society of today, people need to stay in touch. More than ever, families and long distance friends can now stay in touch using only their thumbs. Wether texting evolves into something completely different, that remains to be seen. One can only assume that it will evolve because communication always have. Humans have gone through letters, morse code, telegraphs, calls, emails, and now texting. One day there will be some new way of communication that will supersede all ways we now know. But for now, that way is texting.

No comments: